Thursday, March 5, 2009

Day #1 begins today!

So. There's an idea floating around that has great appeal to me: Make a list of 101 things that you'd like to accomplish in 1001 days. I fell in love with the concept, because I feel like I am always saying, "Hey, I really want do that," or, "I really need to get this done." The guidelines for the project are set out at: http://www.dayzeroproject.com

The Mission:
Complete 101 preset tasks in a period of 1001 days.

The Criteria:
Tasks must be specific (ie. no ambiguity in the wording) with a result that is either measurable or clearly defined. Tasks must also be realistic and stretching (ie. represent some amount of work on my part).

Why 1001 Days?
Many people have created lists in the past - frequently simple goals such as New Year's resolutions. The key to beating procrastination is to set a deadline that is realistic. 1001 Days (about 2.75 years) is a better period of time than a year, because it allows you several seasons to complete the tasks, which is better for organising and timing some tasks such as overseas trips or outdoor activities.
Over the last week, I have compiled my list of 101 things. With the help of dear friends and the inspiration of others that have started the same project, I have what I think is a well-rounded list. Most of these things will be new experiences. Some of these things will hopefully turn into habits. A few of these things have been done before, but I'd like to do them again as an adult. It is my hope to share as many of these experiences as possible--so if you're reading this and would like to help me with or accompany me on any of these journeys, please get in touch! (Keep in mind that some activities have already been promised. ;) )I am hoping that this blog will keep me focused AND keep me accountable.

I've tried to categorize these as best as I can, though I know some things can fall into more than one category. Alright. Here we are--my 101 goals.

General improvement of self:
1. Fit back into my college jeans.
2. Get an eye exam. (I can see just fine, but I've never had it done!)
3. Do a proper workout 4 times a week for 4 weeks straight. Do this 4 times throughout the project.
4. Take a multivitamin every day until the bottle is gone.
5. Go a week without pop. Do this 10 times throughout the project.
6. Bring lunch to work every day for a week. Do this 10 times throughout the project.
  • Week 1 - completed 5/2/09
  • Week 2 - completed 5/9/09
  • Week 3 - completed 5/16/09
  • Week 4 - completed 5/23/09
  • Week 5 - completed 7/31/09
7. Eat a proper breakfast before work every day for a week. Do this 10 times throughout the project.
  • Week 1 - completed 7/31/09
8. Drink the recommended 8 glasses of water every day for a week. Do this 8 times throughout the project.
9. Take a self-defense course.
10. Make and keep 2 sincere New Year's resolutions.

Initiating new talents (and enhancing current talents):
11. Learn to use a vintage camera.
12. Take at least 2 fun classes (something like pottery or dance).
13. Crochet something other than a scarf or blanket.
14. Learn and perfect 5 photography techniques. "That's pretty" is not always a technique. ;)
15. Paint something that's not a wall.
16. Get through every song in Guitar Hero World Tour on expert. Ignore teasing.
17. Play my trumpet again.

General housekeeping and need-to-do:
18. Back up all photos and music.
19. Clean out the kitchen cupboards.
20. Get every piece of clothing in its proper place and keep it there. For good. For serious.
21. Replace at least 1 light bulb in my apartment with an energy-efficient bulb.
22. Purge iPod (and iTunes) of not-good songs. This includes loading iPod shuffle with only the best songs.
23. Clean out my closet and donate unwanted clothes.
24. Create and stick to a regular cleaning schedule.

Exploring the city near which I live:
25. Go to a Nationals game.
26. Go to the top of the Washington Monument.
27. Go to the Cherry Blossom Festival. [Completed 4/3/09]
28. Visit every Smithsonian Museum in D.C.
29. Try 20 new local restaurants.
  • Bittersweet Cafe, 4/24/09
30. Attend a performance at the Kennedy Center.
31. Eat at the Roof Terrace Restaurant at the Kennedy Center.
32. Visit every Metro stop in D.C. and document at least one interesting thing near each stop.
33. Stay a night at the Willard Hotel.
34. Go to a National Symphony Orchestra performance.
35. Visit the Lincoln Cottage.
36. Take the Gargoyle tour at the National Cathedral.
37. See the original Capitol building pillars at the National Arboretum.
38. Visit JFK's grave on his birth date and death date in the same year.

Being all cultural and knowledgeable and stuff:
39. Read 10 (new-to-me) Pulitzer Prize-winning books.
  • March by Geraldine Brooks - 6/29/09
40. Read 5 (new-to-me) Nobel Prize-winning books.
41. Read 5 (new-to-me) Newberry Award-winning books (because, yes, they really are that good).
42. Watch 5 (new-to-me) Academy Award-winning movies (THE winning movies).
43. Obtain my passport.
44. See a professional production of a musical that I have been in (The Music Man, Guys & Dolls, or Bye, Bye Birdie).
45. Order an entire meal from a foreign restaurant in that language.
46. Read 5 books on a boring-to-me subject.

Girl-type things:
47. Get a manicure/pedicure.
48. Get a 2nd hole in each ear.
49. Buy a vintage 1940's dress.
50. Buy a pair of red heels.
51. Buy an entire outfit featured on a store mannequin.
52. Have a get-together with all of my Meredith girls... but not at an official reunion.
53. Own a Burberry scarf, even if I have to buy it at an outlet with a coupon.
54. Wear something pink and fluffy for an entire day.

Because food is good and should be enjoyed
:
55. Make a new recipe once a month, every month, for a year.
56. Eat at 2 restaurants that have been featured on the Food Network.
57. Go out for Sunday brunch. [Completed 7/26/09 - Brunch at Old Ebbitt Grill in D.C.]
58. Go to a wine tasting at a vineyard.
59. Visit the Farmers' Market every month that it's open for a year.
60. Eat 3 new-to-me cuisines.
61. Buy and use a Slush Mug.
62. Purchase a box of food from Angel Food Ministries.
63. Go on a picnic.
64. Learn how to make Grandma's recipe for meatballs.

Because sharing is caring:
65. Leave a 100% tip for outstanding restaurant service.
66. Mail 10 handwritten cards/letters a year (not just at Christmas).
67. Knit at least 1 scarf for the WWII Museum's Knit Your Bit program for WWII veterans. http://www.nationalww2museum.org/education/for-general-public/knit-your-bit.html
68. Help at least 3 people accomplish something on their 101-things lists.

Road trips and other adventures:
69. Watch the sunset and the sunrise at the beach.
70. Visit the Shenandoah Valley and stay the night.
71. Go to a county fair.
72. Go to a state fair.
73. Go see a waterfall.
74. Visit 5 (new-to-me) battlefields.
  • Fredericksburg, 3/22/09
75. Visit 3 (new-to-me) presidential gravesites.
76. Visit 3 presidential birthplaces.
77. Go to Monticello and Montpelier.
78. Go on a fall foliage driving tour.
79. Visit 3 new states.
80. See 3 lighthouses.
81. Go to a professional sporting event that's not baseball.
82. Go miniature golfing.
83. Go to 3 festivals (i.e. the Hamburger Festival).
84. Stay in a historic bed & breakfast in a historic town.

Things I've always wanted to do but have never done:
85. Kiss in the rain.
86. Get a massage.
87. Send a postcard to PostSecret. (http://postsecret.blogspot.com)
88. Buy an original piece of art (painting, photograph, etc.).
89. Complete a corn maze in the dark.
90. See a Cirque Du Soleil show.
91. Follow a $1, $5, $10, and $20 bill on http://www.wheresgeorge.com.
92. Watch a thunderstorm. Outside. (With someone, please. This is scary for me.)
93. Go to a flea market/antique mall and buy a handful of records, then listen to them all.
94. Make and distribute Bad Parking Notes so that bad/selfish parkers can be aware of their transgressions against society.
95. Find and download at least one new song each month (for a year) using last.fm.
96. Buy a lottery ticket when the jackpot is over $100 million.
97. Ride a segway.
98. Apply for my dream job, even if I am sorely under-qualified.
99. Be in 2 states at once.
100. Complete a 365 project on Flickr.
101. [sorry, this one is a secret] :-)

Day #1 of this project is today: Thursday, March 5, 2009. The end date will be Thursday, December 1, 2011.

3 comments:

  1. I love the way you have set out your 101's! Easy to navigate through - & you have given me some wonderful ideas for my 101's that i am still working on!

    Have a great journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This a most excellent idea. You ahve inspired me to do one. Wow and good luck with your endeavors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant have inspired...oops

    ReplyDelete